Select the appropriate response.
1. The accountant's worksheet:
a. lays the groundwork for formal financial statement preparation.
b. is a fundamental financial statement.
c. provides details necessary for full disclosure and the preparation of footnotes.
d. is prepared at the end of each operating cycle.
2. In preparing a work sheet, a net loss would be computed and entered in the:
a. debit column of the income statement columns of the worksheet.
b. credit column of the income statement columns of the worksheet.
c. in the debit column of the adjusted trial balance.
d. in the credit column of the balance sheet columns of the worksheet.
3. Which of the following accounts would not be closed at the end of an accounting period?
4. After closing all revenue and expense accounts, Norris Company had a debit balance in its Income Summary account of $10,000. The proper entry to record the closing of the Income Summary account would be:
5. The following statements all pertain to the accounting cycle. Which of these statements is wrong?
a. A post-closing trial balance is prepared prior to closing temporary accounts.
b. Formal financial statements may be produced from the worksheet.
c. Adjusting entries are recorded in the journal and posted to the ledger.
d. The post-closing trial balance is prepared by examining ledger balances subsequent to the closing of accounts.
6. Which of the following statements about reversing entries is true?
a. Identical account balances are achieved in the subsequent accounting period whether reversing entries are utilized or not.
b. Reversing entries may not be used with accrued revenues.
c. Reversals are generally applied to those adjusting items that do not involve future cash flow.
d. Reversing entries would not be prepared if a company also utilized closing entries.
7. Shipman Company had accrued salaries of $300 on December 31. The company recorded reversing entries on the following January 1. On the next payday, January 7, the appropriate entry to record the payment of $1,000 in salaries should include:
8. Current assets are those assets which management intends to convert into cash or consume within:
9. On a classified balance sheet, the appropriate ordering of specific classifications is:
a. Current assets; long-term investments; property, plant, and equipment; intangible assets; other assets.
b. Current assets; property, plant, and equipment; long-term investments; intangible assets; other assets.
c. Current assets; intangible assets; property, plant, and equipment; long-term investments; other assets.
d. Current assets; other assets; long-term investments; intangible assets; property, plant, and equipment.
10. If a company had a current ratio of 0.5, then which of the following statements regarding that company's working capital would be true?