Select the appropriate response.
1. Which of the following characteristics is considered to be an advantage of the corporate form of organization?
2. Of the following characteristics, which is not generally regarded as a right of common shareholders?
3. The appropriate journal entry to record the issue of 1,000 shares of $1 par-value common stock, which is issued for $4 per share would be:
4. If 1,000 shares of $10 par-value common stock are issued in exchange for land with a fair market value of $25,000, the land and common stock (along with any additional paid-in capital) should be recorded at:
5. Jackson Corporation has 500,000 shares of common stock outstanding. On April 10, the board of directors declared a $0.60 per share cash dividend, to be paid to stockholders of record on April 25. The dividend was distributed on June 6. The proper journal entry to record on June 6 is:
6. Dividends omitted on preferred shares that must be paid before common shareholders are entitled to be paid are referred to as:
7. Magic Corporation paid $100,000 in dividends. The corporation had 10,000 shares of common stock outstanding and 5,000 shares of $100 par value 5% preferred stock. The preferred stock was two years in arrears prior to the current year. How much was paid to the common stockholders?
8. In reviewing corporate equity on a balance sheet, what would be included in the description "Total Capital Stock"?
9. Which of the following statements about treasury stock is false?
a. Gains are not recorded on treasury stock transactions, but losses are.
b. Acquiring treasury stock causes stockholders' equity to decrease.
c. Treasury stock is reported as a deduction from stockholders' equity.
d. The excess of the sales price of treasury stock over its cost should be credited to Paid-in Capital from Treasury Stock.
10. Elmer Company has 500,000 shares of common stock authorized. The stock has a par value of $1.50 per share, and 150,000 shares are outstanding. The company declared a 5% stock dividend at a time when the market value was $7 per share. What entry, if any, should Elmer record for the declaration?